Sunday, May 4, 2008

Neiman Marcus gets to know Black Halo

Designer Q&A: Laurel Berman of Black Halo

Ellb009041_2 Laurel Berman, creator and designer of Black Halo, knows how to dress a siren. Her designs are popping up everywhere from the stylist scene to pretty girls on prime time. Berman has struck a well-draped balance between her own easy L.A. style and knowing how to adorn the body as simply as possible. We asked Laurel about her inspirations.

What inspires your designs?
Travel, art, music, and everyday life in L.A. I use my surroundings and experiences throughout my life to influence my design process by looking inside to find my inner truth and interpret this into my designs.

What do you love about being a designer? I love to travel, fabrics, and the process of creating something beautiful from start to finish.

What are your favorite pieces in your collection and why?
I live in the Black Halo dresses, from the fitted styles to the more full jumper styles. However, my current favorite is the strapless one-piece jumpsuit. It is easy to accessorize and the style feels so avant-garde.

Describe the type of woman you design for. I design for the sexy and confident career woman. My garments go from day to dinner so they are perfect for the girl on the go.

Favorite scent
? Nanadebary.

Favorite sport?
Dancing.

If you weren't a designer … I would be an interior designer.

Favorite quote? Looking back, you never really regret the things you do, only the things you don't do.

Favorite artist? Egon Schiele

Biggest fashion regret?
I never regret fashion.

Describe your closet. Way too small.

The best advice you ever received? Start my own company.

No comments:

Post a Comment