Saturday, February 12, 2011

Welcome to New York!

http://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion-Spotlight/Welcome-to-New-York!/(imageIndex)/8/(play)/false


BY SUZANNE WEINSTOCK | FEBRUARY 10, 2011

Jane Ibrahim learned by the sides of some of our favorite New York designers, from the ultracool Yigal Azrouel to the chic Michael Kors, and is now striking out on her own.

Design DNA: “My fashion awakening happened with ’90s grunge, so my love of ruggedness is always there but it is now tempered with femininity. It is my goal to find new, fun ways to do things, but ultimately my clothes have to be flattering to the female form.

Dream model: “Jacquelyn Jablonsky. She embodies the balance of masculinity and femininity this collection encompasses. Also, I would love to dress my friend Will, but he seems a little reluctant to let me do so.”

Backstory: “I’ve worked for over 10 years in New York for some great American brands like Michael Kors, Yigal Azrouel, Theory, and Cythnia Steffe.” A little over a year ago, I felt it was the right time to venture out on my own. It was a terrible time economically, but I really felt that difficult times produce unique opportunities. This collection began with the idea of pairing structured jackets with soft draped dresses that juxtapose masculinity and femininity. We named it Maisonette 1977 because we believe in the tradition of a small design house, so maisonette worked perfectly.”

Inspiration: “It starts with the fabric. I look at a lot of fabric and start imagining its uses even before developing the concept for the coming season. Eventually, the stimulation in my life began to inform a story concept that becomes married to the fabric story.”





Photo: courtesy of Jane Ibrahim




No comments:

Post a Comment